The CHW Professional Skills training was developed to build the skills of new and seasoned Community Health Workers and other front-line professionals committed to advancing community health. Recognizing that the term community health workers is viewed as an umbrella term that encompasses many different roles and job titles, it is recommended that you review the training content outlined below to determine whether the training can be helpful to the work you do.
The CHW Professional Skills training is delivered as five asynchronous courses (approximately 30 hours) that are available on-demand at the learner’s convenience. In addition to the recorded training, learners will complete quizzes, assignments, and participate in four live, virtual learning discussion sessions.
This skills-based course includes five courses covering the following topics:
Course 1: Introduction to Community Health Work: The Big Picture
- Module 1: The Role of Community Health Workers
- Module 2: The Evolution of the Community Health Worker
- Module 3: Introduction to Public Health
- Module 4: Healthcare and Health Policy
- Module 5: Health Equity for All
Course 2: Core Competencies for Providing Direct Services
- Module 6: Cultural Humility, Implicit Bias, Gender Issues, Disability Etiquette
- Module 7: Guiding Principles for Community Health Workers
- Module 8: Conducting Client-Centered Interviews
Course 3: Enhancing Client Interactions
- Module 9: Client-Centered Counseling for Behavior Change
- Module 10: Care Management
- Module 11: Home Visiting
Course 4: Enhancing Professional Skills
- Module 12: Stress Management and Self Care
- Module 13: Conflict Resolution
- Module 14: CHW Professional Skills
Course 5: Applying Core Competencies to Key Health Issues
- Module 15: Chronic Conditions Management
- Module 16: Promoting Healthy Eating and Active Living
- Module 17: Understanding Trauma and Supporting the Recovery of Survivors
- Module 18: Health Outreach and Navigating Community-Based Resources
- Module 19: Managing COVID Response and Recovery
- Module 20: Evaluation and Research
Age 18 and above.
High School Diploma or equivalent (preferred).
Ability to read and understand spoken English.
CHW Professional Skills Training – $988 per participant.
Special opportunities are available for Iowa residents and individuals employed in Iowa to receive tuition waivers and stipend support.
What former students have to say…
Successful completion of the CHW Professional Skills Training results in the award of a non-credit certificate from the Des Moines Area Community College, or other Iowa community college of choice, and a competency certificate from the Iowa Chronic Care Consortium. Additionally, opportunities for continuing education credits (CEUs and CMEs) may be available to licensed healthcare professionals for this training. Click here to learn more.
Iowa Residents: LEARN MORE ABOUT TUITION WAIVER AND STIPEND OPPORTUNITIES
Non-Iowa Residents: ACCESS THE TRAINING REGISTRATION FORM
To learn more information about Community Health Worker Professional Skills Training, please review the Frequently Asked Questions located on this site, or contact Deb Kazmerzak at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-554-3788.